Thursday, August 21, 2008

Groovy Is Groovy

While I appreciate the need for strongly typed languages, I don't find them very enjoyable to program in. I prefer to prototype and refine as needed. With Java in particular this is difficult to do. But its hard to ignore all the rich libraries being written in/for java these days.

Groovy is an agile and dynamic language for the Java VM. A number of different colleagues have recommended Groovy to me and I've finally sat down and played with it. I'm very impressed to say the least. Besides being able to use java libraries easily from within a Groovy script, you can also compile Groovy code into regular java bytecode, or you can embed groovy directly into your Java application.

Personally, I'm looking forward to prototyping using Groovy in some open source projects I've been thinking of. Anything that is too slow can be refactored in Java. Perhaps by someone else ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home